I recently posed this question to my awesome heathen tweeps…>
what book do you consider a must read for people new to #atheism?
— Atheist Girl (@iamatheistgirl) February 27, 2016
The following is a list of the most popular books recommended for anyone new to atheism!
- Atheist Universe: The Thinking Person’s Answer to Christian FundamentalismAtheist Universe details why God is unnecessary to explain the universe’s diversity, organization and beauty. Using simple, straightforward logic, this book rebuts every argument that claims to “prove” God’s existence.by David Mills
- The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe without DesignThe Blind Watchmaker is the seminal text for understanding evolution today. In an eloquent, uniquely persuasive account of the theory of natural selection, Dawkins illustrates how simple organisms slowly change over time to create a world of enormous complexity, diversity, and beauty.by Richard Dawkins
- The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the DarkHow can we make intelligent decisions about our increasingly technology-driven lives if we don’t understand the difference between the myths of pseudoscience and the testable hypotheses of science? Pulitzer Prize-winning author and distinguished astronomer Carl Sagan argues that scientific thinking is critical not only to the pursuit of truth but to the very well-being of our democratic institutions.by Carl Sagan
- Fighting God: An Atheist Manifesto for a Religious WorldFighting God is a firebrand manifesto from one of the most recognizable faces of atheism. In his book, Silverman – a walking, talking atheist billboard known for his appearances on Fox News-discusses the effectiveness, ethics and impact of the in-your-face-atheist who refuses to be silent.by David Silverman
- The God DelusionA preeminent scientist – and the world’s most prominent atheist – asserts the irrationality of belief in God and the grievous harm religion has inflicted on society, from the Crusades to 9/11.by Richard Dawkins
- God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons EverythingIn the tradition of Bertrand Russell’s Why I Am Not a Christian and Sam Harris’s recent bestseller, The End of Faith, Christopher Hitchens makes the ultimate case against religion.by Christopher Hitchens
- Jesus, Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible (And Why We Don’t Know About Them)The problems with the Bible that New Testament scholar Bart Ehrman discussed in his bestseller Misquoting Jesus—and on The Daily Show with John Stewart, NPR, and Dateline NBC, among others—are expanded upon exponentially in his latest book: Jesus, Interrupted. This New York Times bestseller reveals how books in the Bible were actually forged by later authors, and that the New Testament itself is riddled with contradictory claims about Jesus—information that scholars know… but the general public does not.by Bart D. Ehrman
- On the Origin of Species: A Facsimile of the First Edition (Harvard Paperbacks)It is now fully recognized that the publication of Charles Darwin’s Origin of Species in 1859 brought about a revolution in man’s attitude toward life and his own place in the universe. This work is rightly regarded as one of the most important books ever published, and a knowledge of it should be part of the intellectual equipment of every educated person.by Charles Darwin